It seems my last post was about a mucous plug and that is not the best way to end my journey through pregnancy.
So here’s what happened…
My baby girl did not want to come out on her own. After waiting patiently – and not so patiently – we decided to induce 10 days after her due date. My husband and I arrived at 8:00 pm on Monday night and were checked into the hospital. I was dilated a 1/2 centimeter at this point.
The first plan of action was to use Cervidil to get things going. Basically, this meant I couldn’t leave the bed for two hours and after two hours I could only get up to use the restroom. In theory, beginning this process at night was supposed to give us a chance to sleep, however, the downfall is that after they hooked me up the IV fluid, I had to pee every hour and because I was hooked up to so many machines (IV, heart monitor, fetal heart monitor, contraction monitor) my poor husband had to help me get in and out of bed. Neither one of us had a good night sleep.
Around 8:00 am the next morning, the nurse checked me and there was no difference. Still dilated a 1/2 centimeter. The doctor decided to go ahead and start the Pitocin to get things going around 9:00 am.
Around 11:00 am, the doctor came by and checked everything out. The baby’s head was turned sideways and he mentioned that if the baby didn’t turn we would need to have a c-section. Using forceps, vacuums, or other invasive procedures were not an option due to Von Willebrand’s Disease. We knew I have Vwd it but we didn’t know if the baby had it. Using these methods could have caused uncontrollable bleeding in the baby endangering her life resulting in an emergency c-section or loss of the baby’s life.
My husband, doctor, and I weighed the pros and cons of a vaginal delivery vs. c-section and decided to continue pursuing a vaginal delivery.
At 11:00 am, I was feeling pretty good. The contractions weren’t too bad and I was actually happy to be feeling them. However, every 30 minutes the nurse increases the dosage of Pitocin and by the time the doctor came to visit again at 3:00 pm they hurt – a lot. By this time, I had dilated an entire 2 cm and the baby hadn’t turned. We discussed both options again and I was determined to continue with the vaginal delivery. He looked at me asked if I wanted an epidural and I said YES. However, because of Von Willebrand’s, I had to wait for a dosage of Humate-P first which meant waiting another hour or so. Joy.
When the epidural kicked in, my body relaxed and I finally dilate to 10cm by the time the came by at 11:00 pm. However, the baby still hadn’t turned. We discussed the c-section again and at this point I was going to agree with whatever was best for my baby. Luckily, my night nurse stepped in and said she wanted to work with me to turn the baby. The doctor gave us until 3:00 am to turn the baby, otherwise we were going to operate. He left and we got to work.
My night nurse was training another nurse so I basically had two nurses and my husband to move the lower half of my body around while I was responsible for my upper half. I affectionately refer to this portion of my labor as “yoga labor.” I was moved to my left side, then my right side, then my back, sometimes with a peanut shaped yoga ball between my legs. There was no modesty at this point. Half the time there was a hand up inside of me and it wasn’t mine.
The moment the nurse told me the baby had turned my heart skipped a beat and I was elated.
It was a little after 3:00 am and the nurse decided we should try pushing a little bit to make sure the baby would stay in the position. After a few pushes, I was told the baby’s head was getting stuck on the pelvic bone. In other words, her head might be too big for the opening.
We all agreed to keep trying and put off calling the doctor. For those of you who haven’t given birth vaginally, there is a scale the use to determine where your baby’s head it. 0 is the pelvic bone, -1 and -2 are the distances before the pelvic bone and 1 and 2 are the distances after the pelvic bone. The scale looks like -2 | -1 | 0 | 1 | 2. I spent the next 45 minutes pushing trying to get past 0 but it just wasn’t happening and every time I took a break my baby would go backwards.
It was almost 4:00 am and I was exhausted but there was no way I was giving up. With my husband pressing on one leg, a nurse on the other leg, and another nurse with her hand inside of me I tried pushing again and her head passed the 0 mark and all of us rejoiced!
Once this happened, she reached 1, then 2, and just as I was ready to push this baby out I was told to stop.
It was just past 4:00 am and they had to call the doctor who was at home about 20 minutes away. I had been super calm and easy going, doing whatever the nurses told me to do up until this point, but at this point in time I wasn’t so pleasant. I wanted to know why the doctor hadn’t already been called. Told the nurses I needed to push and that I could feel the baby going back in. I may have screamed at them a time or two because I needed to get this baby out. I was not a happy camper.
The doctor arrived within 15 minutes and a few minutes later my baby girl was born at 4:24 am on Wednesday, March 9. She was 21 inches long and weighed 8 lbs. 15 1/2 oz.
I remember pushing with my eyes shut and the entire room yelling at me to open my eyes and see my daughter. When I opened them, it was the single, most beautiful moment of my life.
In that moment, my journey to motherhood had ended.
I was a mother.